Video

Residents demand justice after deadly attack in Nigeria's Plateau State

Grieving residents buried their dead and demanded action on Tuesday after at least 24 people were killed in an overnight attack on the Bin-Per community in Nigeria's Plateau State.

Footage shows an injured person being taken into Nanetji-Bethel Hospital in Mangu, while other victims receive treatment. Mourners are also seen gathering near a grave as police and soldiers patrol the area.

Residents later rallied in the streets, calling for justice over repeated violence in the region. Plateau State Commissioner of Police Faniyan Ayodeji said officers had been deployed and efforts were underway to identify and arrest those responsible.

"Everything will be done to track and arrest these wicked and callous criminals," Ayodeji said. "We have already started work and we are already getting results."

Youth leader Joseph Sunday Manset accused Fulani individuals of carrying out the attack and called on the government to designate those responsible as terrorists.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

US oil investment push

Niger Roundup: US oil investment push, security concerns in Bilma, soaring meat prices grip Niger

Plateau State Governor Caleb Mutfwang condemned the killings and ordered increased surveillance and patrols in Bin-Per and other vulnerable communities in Mangu. He also urged residents to avoid retaliation and cooperate with security agencies.

Plateau State has experienced years of deadly violence, with disputes involving farming and herding communities repeatedly escalating into attacks. In June, police said at least 20 people were killed in an attack on the Kawel community in Bokkos Local Government Area.

This story is written and edited by the Global South World team, you can contact us here.