Myanmar rebel alliance declares unilateral ceasefire to support quake response

Russian specialists take part in rescue operation in quake-hit Myanmar
Specialists, including members of Russia's emergencies ministry, take part in a search operation following a massive earthquake in Mandalay, Myanmar, in this still image from video released April 1, 2025. Russian Emergencies Ministry/Handout via REUTERS
Source: Handout

A major rebel alliance in Myanmar on Tuesday declared a unilateral ceasefire in its conflict with the ruling military to support an international humanitarian response to last week's devastating earthquake.

The Three Brotherhood Alliance, which comprises the the Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army, the Ta'ang National Liberation Army, and the Arakan Army, said it would not initiate offensive operations for one month to allow the rescue effort, and would only engage in combat in self-defence.

"We strongly desire that urgent humanitarian efforts, which are immediately needed for the earthquake-affected population, be carried out as swiftly and effectively as possible," it said in a joint statement.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.

You may be interested in

/
/
/
/
/
/
/