LIVE: 6.5 million in Honduras vote in tense presidential election marked by foreign interference, fraud allegations

LIVE: 6.5 million in Honduras vote in tense presidential election marked by foreign interference, fraud allegations

LIVE: 6.5 million in Honduras vote in tense presidential election marked by foreign interference, fraud allegations

LIVE: 6.5 million in Honduras vote in tense presidential election marked by foreign interference, fraud allegations

LIVE: 6.5 million in Honduras vote in tense presidential election marked by foreign interference, fraud allegations

LIVE: 6.5 million in Honduras vote in tense presidential election marked by foreign interference, fraud allegations

BREAKING

‘I will not relent,’ Tinubu updates Nigerians after major kidnap rescues

FILE PHOTO: Nigeria's newly declared winner of 2023 presidential election, Bola Tinubu speaks at the National Collation Centre in Abuja, Nigeria, March 1, 2023. REUTERS/Esa Alexander/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Nigeria's newly declared winner of 2023 presidential election, Bola Tinubu speaks at the National Collation Centre in Abuja, Nigeria, March 1, 2023. REUTERS/Esa Alexander/File Photo
Source: X07719

Nigeria’s President, Bola Ahmed Tinubu has vowed that his administration will not back down in the fight against insecurity, after security forces rescued nearly 90 abducted Nigerians in two separate incidents across Kwara and Niger states.

In a statement on X, Tinubu said all 38 worshippers kidnapped in Eruku, Kwara State, had been freed following coordinated operations by security agencies. He also confirmed that 51 of the students abducted from a Catholic school in Niger State had been recovered.

Tinubu said he cancelled his planned trip to the G20 summit in South Africa to personally oversee security efforts at home. He added that he continues to receive “continuous updates from the frontline” as operations to locate remaining victims continue.

“Thanks to the efforts of our security forces over the last few days, all the 38 worshippers abducted in Eruku, Kwara State have been rescued. I am equally happy that 51 out of the missing students of the Catholic School in Niger State, have been recovered,” he wrote.

“Every Nigerian, in every state, has the right to safety and under my watch, we will secure this nation and protect our people,” Tinubu said. “Let me be clear: I will not relent.”

Tinubu's post on X

The president’s comments come after rising public pressure over repeated mass abductions and attacks by armed groups in several parts of the country. While security forces have reported several successful rescue operations in recent months, Nigerians continue to express concerns over the pace of reforms and the capacity of the government to prevent future kidnappings.

Tinubu praised the military, police and intelligence agencies for their efforts and urged citizens to remain calm as operations continue. Officials have not yet released details about the conditions of the rescued victims or whether any arrests were made during the operations.

This story is written and edited by the Global South World team, you can contact us here.

You may be interested in

/
/
/
/
/
/
/